There are many special discounts that are available to seniors. Retirees are offered discounts at most retailers, restaurants, parks, on public transport and at hotels. But you won’t get these discounts unless YOU ASK for them.
Simply ask the question, “Do you offer a senior discount?” and see how much you can save. You’ll be able to save money every time you find yourself reaching for your wallet or purse. Here is a list of 15 discounts seniors get only if they know about them in 2018.
1. Cruise Deals
Carnival Cruises, Royal Caribbean, Costa Cruises
Is there any better way to celebrate life than to venture out at sea? Cruises are wonderful with their all-inclusive travel options where you get to sit back, have a drink or two for free, soak up the midday sun and enjoy some high-class cuisine along with various live music performances.
Cruise lines offer a huge variety of discounts for senior citizens, and this includes some of the most well-known companies like Carnival Cruises and Royal Caribbean, offering exclusive deals to citizens over the age of 55. You will be able to get a cruise deal anywhere in the world, be it the Caribbean or even the icy Alaska. Keep in mind that not all cruises have discounts, so it is best to check with the specific cruise company.
2. Car Insurance discounts
Did you know that depending on your age and other factors you could get a huge discount on car insurance? Most seniors don’t even know these discounts exist. Click here to read how seniors can save $400+ on car insurance.
3. Mortgage discount
Seniors can get special discounts and terms if they decide to refinance their mortgage. There’s a forgotten government program passed by Obama to help the middle class senior Americans reduce their monthly payments by as much as $3,500 each year. Click here to learn more about this mortgage bailout program.
4. Save on Groceries
Once you’ve used your senior discount at all of your favorite restaurants, you’ll need to buy some groceries. Lots of stores give a senior discount – you just need to ask.
Keep in mind that discounts and deals may vary and can change without notice.
- Farm Fresh – 5% discount Tuesdays and Thursdays (55+)
- Hy-Vee – depending on location will usually offer 5% discount on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (some stores set age to 65+)
- Fred Meyer – 10% senior discount on the first Tuesday of every month
- New Seasons Market – 10% discount every Wednesday
- Compare Food Supermarket – 10% discount in participating locations, get in touch with your local store to find out more
- Piggly Wiggly – varying discounts at participating locations
- Fry’s Food – 10% discount on the first Wednesday of every month to all seniors with VIP card.
5. Save on Prescriptions
CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and Rite Aid
Medication is an essential part of human life, and the costs of the prescriptions add up more and more as you age. Most retirees need to take some type of medication, so it’s only right that you should be able to get a discount on your pills.
You can get a discount at the pharmacy section of lots of retail stores including CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, Rite Aid and also on websites like Narcup.com.
Also, some pharmaceutical companies will send seniors a discount card that you can show when paying for prescriptions. Just remember to check with your local pharmacy to see what discounts are available to you, because discounts might change depending on location.
6. Eating Out
If you don’t feel like cooking be sure to turn to these places for good senior dining deals. From fast food to steak restaurants, our compiled restaurant list will definitely help you make your choice.
Keep in mind that deals may vary at participating locations and can change without notice.
- McDonald’s: discounts on coffee and beverages (55+)
- Whataburger: free drink with purchase of a meal, depending on location (55+)
- Wendy’s: give free coffee or other discounts depending on location
- Piccadilly Cafeteria – 10% discount with “Prime Time for Seniors” card
- IHOP – 10% discount (55+) and a menu for people aged 55 and over at participating locations
- Golden Corral: Senior discount varies by location
- Krispy Kreme Senior Discount: 10% off (50+) (age and discount varies depending on location)
- Perkins Restaurants: Fifty-Five Plus menu Offers special deals (55+)
- Subway: 10% off (60+) varies by location
- The Old Spaghetti Factory: Spaghetti Factory “Senior Menu” offers discounted list of menu items
- Uno Pizzaria & Grill: “Double Nickel Club” 25% off on Wednesday (55+)
- Sizzler: Offers “Honored Guest Menu” (60+) varies by location
- Papa John’s Senior Discount: check with your local stores (no standard senior discount policy)
- Old Country Buffet: Daily discounts for seniors (55+)
- Friendly’s Restaurants: 10% off meal w/ free coffee at breakfast or free small sunday during non-breakfast hours
- Fazoli’s: Join “Club 62” for special senior menu items (62+)
- KFC: free small drink with any meal depending on location (55+)
- Country Kitchen: Great Senior Menu (55+)
- Burger King: 10% discount on purchase depending on location (60+)
- Long John Silver’s: 10% discount or discounted beverage (55+)
- Taco Bell: 10% off (65+)
- El Pollo Loco: 10% off senior discounts varies by location (55+)
7. Go Shopping
Banana Republic, Kohl’s, Marshall’s and Stein Mart
You might be surprised to learn that a lot of trendy shops give a senior citizens discount. At Banana Republic, if you over 50-years old you can get a 10% discount at stores, simply by asking for it.
At Kohl’s on Wednesdays, over 60s can get 15% off. And on Tuesdays, outlet stores Marshall’s, Ross will offer up a 10% discount for seniors – though the exact age is determined by each store.
Walgreens hold a “Seniors Day” once a month too – which varies by location. Discounts of 20% are available for Rewards card members that are over 55 years old in store, and if you’re shopping online you can get a 10% price reduction.
If you are 62 or older, you can get a 10% discount every Tuesday and Wednesday at Dress Barn. And that’s not all, Stein Mart are treating over 55s with their clearance offer. On the first Monday of each month, you can get an extra 20% discount on clearance items. Goodwill gives 10%-20% discounts varying by store. Also if you are 62 or older, you can get a 10% discount every Tuesday and Wednesday at Dress Barn.
Just remember to check with the specific store in your area, as discounts might vary and change without notice.
8. Hotel Rooms
If you want to settle down for the night some place away from home you can be sure to get a discount at Marriott, Comfort Inn, Motel 6 and more.
Keep in mind that discounts may vary and change without notice.
- Marriott – 15% discount (62+). You can book online or call and ask for the senior discount
- Red Roof Inn – option of “senior rate” when you book online, may not be available for all locations
- Choice Hotels – 10% discount if you book in advance (60+)
- Hyatt Hotels – up to 50% off in participating locations. To qualify for this deal you have to make a reservation in advance and book for two people (60+)
- La Quinta – varying offers at participating locations (65+). Book online or call and ask for senior discounts
- Omni Hotels – varying offers at participating locations (55+)
- Motel 6 – 10% discount (60+). Call and book over the phone in order to get discount
- Wyndham Hotels – varying offers at participating locations (60+)
- Hampton Inns & Suites – 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance
You can find more senior hotel discounts here.